Adopted March 1, 1997
Article I: Name
The name of this organization shall be the "Kentucky Society of Professional Geologists" (KSPG).
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of this Society is to advance the profession, practice, and science of Geology within the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Article III: Objectives
1. To enhance professional and scientific interactions among all geologists in Kentucky.
2. To disseminate information, provide a forum, and offer educational opportunities to the geological community.
3. To support and promote Kentucky's program for Registration of Professional Geologists.
4. To participate in legislative activities as they relate to the practice of geology in Kentucky.
5. To foster academic education and scientific research in geology.
6. To inspire in its members the highest standards of professional ethics.
Article IV: Membership
1. Membership of the KSPG shall comprise those persons, corporations, and organizations concerned with the promotion of the Society's objectives.
2. Membership classifications, qualifications, duties, and privileges shall be as established in the Bylaws of the Society.
Article V: Government
1. The government of KSPG shall be vested in an Executive Committee consisting of the following officers: President, President-elect, Secretary/Treasurer, Editor, two (2) Councilors, and the Immediate Past President.
2. Officers of this Society shall be full members in good standing.
3. The election process, terms of office, and duties of Executive Committee members as well as other matters relevant to the Executive Committee, shall be as provided in the Bylaws of this Society.
4. The Constitution and Bylaws of the Society will be binding upon the Executive Committee and KSPG. Any responsibility and authority of this Society not otherwise specified in these governing documents shall be reserved to the Executive Committee. Procedural questions not specifically addressed in these governing documents shall be resolved by Robert's Rules of Order, as revised.
5. Decisions and actions of the Executive Committee may be overruled by a two-thirds vote of KSPG full members who are in good standing.
Article VI: Meetings
1. The Society shall hold a minimum of one meeting per year for the presentation of scientific papers, field conferences, discussion of geological problems, and/or Society business. Special meetings may be called by the Executive Committee at any time. Items of business for information, recommendation, discussion, or vote may be presented to the Membership by the Executive Committee at any meeting.
2. Arrangements for all meetings shall be made by the Executive Committee or its designates.
3. A petition signed by two-thirds (2/3) of the KSPG full members who are in good standing shall require the Executive Committee to call a special executive or membership meeting for purposes as stated in the petition.
Article VII: Chapters
The Executive Committee shall consider the affiliation of existing Societies within Kentucky or local interstate societies as chapters of the KSPG. The purpose, aims, constitutions, and bylaws of these organizations shall be in harmony with the purpose and aims of the KSPG. The Executive Committee also may originate chapters from within the KSPG membership and initiate mutually beneficial Society-chapter relations and operating procedures.
The Bylaws as appended hereto are hereby adopted and may be amended, enlarged, or reduced as provided in the Bylaws.
Article IX: Amendments
Amendments to this Constitution may be proposed by a resolution of the KSPG Executive Committee, by a special committee appointed by the President, or by written petition signed by ten percent of the members of the Society. Proposed amendments must be ratified by the Executive Committee before submission to a vote by Members. A two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of respondents by mail ballot shall be sufficient to amend the Constitution.
1. Members shall be classified as follows:
A. Registered Professional - persons who have received the status of Registered Geologist through the Kentucky Board of Registration for Professional Geologists.
B. Exempted Professional - persons who possess all the qualifications for professional registration in Kentucky and who are specifically exempted from the registration requirement by KRS 322A.080.
C. Associate - persons who possess all the qualifications for professional registration, who are not exempted from the registration process by KRS 322A.080, and who are not presently registered in Kentucky. Persons who lack some qualifications for professional registration in Kentucky but who are desirable as members because of their active interests in geology and in the objectives of the Society.
D. Student - persons who do not already hold a degree in geology, geophysics, geochemistry, or geological/geotechnical engineering and who are full-time students in geology or a related discipline at an institution of higher learning.
E. Honorary - persons distinguished by their service to the advancement of geology in Kentucky. Honorary members may be designated for life or for a certain period of time.
F. Institutional - those businesses, corporations, institutions of higher learning, or other organizations involved in, or allied to, the profession of geology who agree with the objectives of this Society. Institutional Members shall have the right to appoint a designated representative who does not otherwise need to be a Member. Institutional Members shall enjoy all privileges of the Society except that they, or their representatives, shall not vote or hold office. Any designated representative who also holds an individual membership may continue to exercise his/her own rights and privileges.
Article II: Procedures for Election to Membership
1. All Registered Professional Geologists in Kentucky, who are in good standing, are automatically eligible to become members of this Society.
2. All other persons and Institutions desiring membership in KSPG must petition the Executive Committee on an approved application form. Individuals must be sponsored by two Full members (as defined in Article III, #1. The applicants name and the names of his sponsors shall be mailed to the members of the Society for consideration. If no objection is raised within sixty (60) days of the mailing, the application will be acted upon by the Executive Committee. Any objections to a membership petition will be resolved by action of the Executive Committee and if appropriate, referred to the Kentucky Board of Registration for Professional Geologists before a final decision is made. The Secretary shall notify applicants of the Committee's acceptance or rejection as soon as practicable.
3. Honorary Members may be accepted by a majority vote of the Executive Committee after being recommended by a committee.
Article III: Duties and Privileges of Membership
1. Full membership in KSPG is limited to those persons in the Registered Professional, Exempted Professional, and Honorary Member classes.
2. Full members who are in good standing (as defined in Article IV, #4) shall have the privileges of voting, holding office, serving on committees, and engaging in the business of the Society.
3. Associate, Student, and Institutional members shall not vote or hold office.
4. All Members in good standing shall receive all publications of the Society.
Article IV: Dues
1. Annual dues for all membership classes shall be determined by the Executive Committee and be assessed on a non pro-rated calendar year basis.
2. Annual dues are waived for Honorary Members.
3. Annual dues are payable in advance, on or before January 1. Dues statements shall be mailed to members no later than November 15.
4. Annual dues must be paid in full by March 1 to remain in good standing. Any member not paid in full by March 1 will be placed on inactive status, and will forfeit all rights and privileges of membership. Members may be reinstated upon payment of current dues without making a new application to the Society provided such reinstatement occurs within one year.
5. Members on inactive status will be dropped from membership after one year on this status.
Article V: Executive Committee
1. The Executive Committee shall have ultimate control of the government and management of the affairs and funds of KSPG. Duties include planning for meetings, elections, annual budget, administering funds on behalf of the Society, membership approval, and any other duties as required to accomplish the objectives of the Society.
2. The Executive Committee shall meet at the annual meeting and at the call of the President. A simple majority of Committee members shall constitute a quorum with no proxy votes or alternates allowed. Committee members may act on Society matters by mail or through telecommunications if needed.
Article VI: Officers
1. The officers of this Society shall comprise the Executive Committee and are as follows: President, President-elect, Immediate Past President, Secretary/Treasurer, Editor, and two (2) Councilors. Terms of office shall begin at the close of the annual meeting.
2. The Executive Committee shall be empowered to appoint individuals to fill interim vacancies in any elected office except that of president-elect. Should a vacancy occur in the office of president-elect, a replacement shall be elected by mail ballot through a special election called by the Executive Committee. The ballot shall contain the names of two qualified Members nominated by the Executive Committee.
3. No officer shall hold the same elected office for consecutive terms. This ruling shall not apply to persons appointed by the Executive Committee to fill interim vacancies unless the interim term of service exceeds six months.
Article VII: Election of Officers
1. The officers of KSPG, with exception of the Editor shall be elected by full members who are in good standing.
2. Candidates shall be presented by a Nominations Committee appointed each year by the President. This committee shall consist of no less than three (3) Members, one (1) of whom shall be designated as Chairperson, and none of whom shall be members of the Executive Committee. The Nominations Committee shall submit the name(s) of one or more qualified Members for each office to be filled.
3. Competitive elections for each office are strongly encouraged, but not required. Provisions for write-in nominations for each office shall be provided on the ballot.
4. The President shall appoint a Ballot Committee each year consisting of no less than three (3) Members, one (1) of whom shall be designated as Chairperson, and none of whom shall be members of the Executive Committee or the Nominations Committee. The Ballot Committee shall be responsible for the preparation of the ballots including a biography of each candidate. All ballots shall be returned to the Ballot Committee Chairperson and shall be counted by the Ballot Committee. The Ballot Committee Chairperson shall report the results of the election to the President within fourteen (14) days following the designated closing date. The President shall report the election results to the Executive Committee at its next meeting.
5. Ballots shall be mailed to all full members in good standing at least ninety (90) days before the end of the calendar year. To be counted, ballots shall be returned to the Ballot Committee Chairperson according to instructions and shall be postmarked no later than the designated closing date.
6. A plurality of the votes received for any office shall constitute election. In the event of a tie, a vote of the Executive Committee shall prevail.
Article VIII: Business Procedures
1. The Executive Committee shall appoint committees, arrange for KSPG representation with other groups, organize Society meetings,
short courses, and symposia, authorize publications, and shall have ultimate responsibility and authority in transacting the daily business of KSPG.
2. The fiscal year of the KSPG shall be defined as a calendar year, beginning on January 1 and ending on December 31.
3. The Executive Committee is responsible for the annual budget which shall correspond to the Society's a fiscal year.
4. The Executive Committee shall cause an audit of KSPG financial records to be performed at the conclusion of the Treasurer's term of office and prior to the installation of the newly elected Treasurer.
Article IX: Committees and Representatives
1. The Executive Committee is authorized to establish, direct, and dissolve any standing or ad hoc committees of the Society.
2. The Executive Committee shall direct the appointment of committee chairpersons.
3. Committee chairpersons shall submit an annual written report of committee activities to the Executive Committee.
Article X: Publications
The Executive Committee is authorized to provide for publications in keeping with the Objectives of the Society.
Article XI: Professional Ethics
Members of the Society are expected to maintain the highest level of professional ethics. Members shall be bound by any Code of Professional Ethics, or like document, as may be developed by the Kentucky Board of Registration for Professional Geologists. All ethics matters including removal from the Society shall be resolved by action of the Executive Committee and shall be referred to the Kentucky Board of Registration for Professional Geologists if appropriate.
Article XII: Dissolution
In the event of dissolution of the Society, the Executive Committee shall first discharge all liabilities against KSPG, then dispose of any remaining assets to organizations operating exclusively for charitable, scientific, or educational purposes. Under these circumstances no Member of the Society shall have any right of interest in the assets of the Society.
Article XIII: Amendments
Amendments to these Bylaws shall be in the same manner as amendments to the Constitution.